Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Alumni Information!!!!!

Alumni Information:

This is very interesting and I would like to be involved.
Let me know how I can help.
Charles D Bayne '95
312-519-0487
Dudley Bayne [dudley@dbayne.com]
----------------------------------------------------------------
Hi!

This is a quick note - I apologize! I'm in the middle of ending my own semester and dealing with projects in my hybrid career. Just an idea - can you contact the folks in Alumni Relations & Community Engagement who involved with the Lawrence University Alumni Association to see if they will do a Facebook plug for your effort?

I'm happy to help. Here's my contact information:

Joanna Messer
1447 Williamson St #1
Madison, WI 53703
630.291.5843

I have a number of contacts in the Chicago area, too, who are not LU alumni but are happy to do a solid for musicians in need. There are many LU alumni there who are great to know; the founder of the Merit School of Music, for example, is an older LU alumna, and they have some facilities. However, they will still come at a cost.

Furthermore, I have another friend - this one from my time at Carnegie Mellon - who has developed a project for people who are trying to both teach and perform in New York City. Whitney Gardner and her "business", In The Pocket NYC, were just featured this week in the Wall Street Journal. It's related to what you're after, but different enough. She may have some ideas as well about how to get going on an effort like this.

Kudos to you for taking an entrepreneurship course before graduation. We have to think about how to market our skills more than ever these days. Feel free to give me a call or to drop a line if you need anything!

-Joanna

One further note: if you are trying to have an event with alumni on campus, the 29th is during Memorial Day weekend; won't be good for a lot of people. If you want next Saturday the 22nd, move fast.

--------------------------------------------
Hello,
I am Shad Wenzlaff. A '94 graduate, living in Madison. I have a BA in Music, and studied piano.
I have a very successful piano studio here. It took me over a decade to "get my resources" together to own a piano, much less open a studio.
But I've always been quite resourceful, and except for 3 years of my post Lawrence life, I had access to a piano at least twice a week for practicing. Although twice a week isn't 'really' practicing.
But, these days, I teach a very large student load of private lessons each week, just to make ends meet and keep my space open. Im about to bring on 2 other teachers, who will be subletting space from me. But I have a rather centrally located studio in Madison, and have opened my doors to nearly a half dozen pianists in recent years who needed rehearsal or practice space. This is my "home away from home", and I teach here 6 days a week, but I'm happy to open my doors to a few musicians.
And a very odd set of circumstances led to my entrepreneurial success story. I'm happy to participate and share.
-Shad

Shad Ryan Wenzlaff
Art History Lecturer, Edgewood College
(cell: 608-695-4005)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Folks-

Good to hear that you're thinking ahead...at least as far ahead as you can before you graduate from LU. I'm a member of the class of '01 and I'm in my 7th year teaching chorus at Taft High School in Chicago. We don't own a grand piano at my school, but we could potentially offer rehearsal space depending upon what my administration agreed to.

You might also want to contact Anna Najoom '01 (you can find her on facebook or najoomclarinet@hotmail.com) since she's doing more of the performing professional/studio teacher route.

You could also contact alumni groups for SAI and Sinfonia...they might have ideas and/or be more established and be able to offer you space to use. I'm not a member of the Northwestern SAI alumni group myself, but I'm sure they're not too scary.

My wife and I live in Rogers Park, but we have a small place so we can't really be helpful with regards to offering space in our home.

Good luck!

~Dominique Martin (and Monica Blacconeri '02)
B.A. Choral/General/Instrumental Music Ed.
M.Ed. Educational Leadership

No comments:

Post a Comment